Friday, January 16, 2009

My Plans

Yesterday, I was in desperate need for God to speak to me. I didn't have a huge choice to make or task to complete. I just needed Him. I needed Him to whisper love to me. I found Proverbs 16, or He gave it to me.

"We can make our own plans, but the Lord gives the right answer" (v. 1).
"Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed" (v. 3).
"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps" (v. 9).
"We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall" (v. 33).

I make plans every day, short-term and long-term. I want everything to go according to those plans. I constantly have to take my hands off the controller and tell God to take over. I don't think I struggle with that so much as I constantly forget that He's better at this game than I am. He has the right answers. He owns success itself. He determines reality.


"Better to have little, with godliness, than to be rich and dishonest" (v. 8).
"Better to live humbly with the poor than to share plunder with the proud" (v. 19).

I am a broke, college student. It concerns me sometimes. The economy probably concerns most people right now. Comfort is knowing that Truth doesn't depend on money.

"When people's lives please the Lord, even their enemies are at peace with them" (v. 7).
"The king is pleased with words from righteous lips; he loves those who speak honestly" (v. 13).
"Kind words are like honey -- sweet to the soul and healthy for the body" (v. 24).
"Discretion is a life-giving fountain" (v. 22).
"Better to be patient than powerful; better to have self-control than to conquer a city" (v.32).

Sometimes, it's so hard to be good. I truly believe that God blesses the righteous and those blessings are rewarded now or later. I truly believe that God gives us His own righteousness if we are His. But I also believe that I have the choice whether or not to utilize that power to do right. Sometimes, that choice is difficult to make. People have told me that it shouldn't be because I am a new creation in Christ, but that doesn't change the fact that I occasionally want to do evil things like retaliate or be disrespectful to people who are disrespectful to me.

But Scripture promises that if I choose to do what pleases the Lord, even my enemies will be at peace with me. If I speak righteous Truth, He is pleased. If I am discreet and inoffensive, I will have life. And if I show patience and self-control, I've accomplished more than overtaking an entire city. Being good is worthwhile.

"When the king smiles, there is life" (v. 15).

I want to make my King smile. I plan on it.

1 comment:

K9 said...

Charity I love your thoughts.
I love the way that God is using you and I know that he will continue to use you in the future.

He is taking care of us. Don't worry, he is still in control, and he is bigger than anything this world can throw at us.

I am so glad I have you.
Thank you for being so patient and forgiving. ;)