Sunday, September 23, 2007

Valiant Men

1 Samuel 10:26 says that Saul was "accompanied by valiant men whose hearts God had touched." Saul had burried himself in cowardice during the last blog, but atleast he got something right. Saul was surrounded by valiant people -- guys with wisdom and courage. These guys had good character and God had touched their hearts. Not touched by an angel, but by the Almighty Himself, and DEEP, in the core of their being.

This verse brings a huge smile to my face. I have been blessed with innumerable friends, but the greatest blessings I have recieved are the few faces that grace my mind when I think "valiant" or "whose hearts God had touched." These elite few are my Entourage -- godly people strategically placed in my life to fulfill Christ's mission. (See the Entourage sermon series at Elevationchurch.org.). Saul had his entourage already set up so that when troublemakers came (v. 27), he simply kept quiet. They picked on him, but they didn't get to him because of the confidence that had been built up by the support of his valiant friends.

This concept has changed my vocabulary. When I looked up valor in a dictionary, it said "the qualities of a hero or heroine; exceptional or heroic courage when facing danger (especially in battle)." My entourage isn't my "Best friends." It may be an elementary school complex for me, but even so, the term "best" seems isolated to only two people. " My new term is "Valiant Friends." Valor unifies and denotes a common goal already established for the group as a whole. The goal of the group as well as the individuals within it is to be led and touched by God. I need friends who are willing to fight with me for a noble cause.

To the valiant men (and women) in my life : I admire you, and I am with you. Let's get this job done.

No comments: