Friday, September 21, 2007

Where Are You Hiding?

When God told Samuel to choose a king for the people (I Samuel 8:22), he chose Saul (10:21). But the people could not find Saul anywhere. The Lord pointed out that Saul had "hidden himself among the baggage" (10:22). Saul had just been appointed King, and he was hiding himself!?

I read this verse in the same week that I embraced my call to ministry and missions. I realized that I had been hiding, too. I wasn't hiding from God, but I was changing the subject every time He began to speak to me about His calling on my life. I have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Why would I hide like Saul!? I have fate written all over me. I had to ask myself what baggage was holding me back from God's will? It was not fear of the task...I'm NOT afraid of my calling to ministry. It wasn't shame either. I am NOT ashamed of the gospel (Romans 1:16). I found the baggage that I cowered behind was the writer in me. I want to write my own cool story with my life, so I often forget that the Author of my Salvation (Hebrews 2:10) is striving for perfection already. My wants get in the way of His storyline, which is so much better than I could ever write. I'm worried about carrying my baggage of authorship and not about the burden of the lost world surrounding me.

How many of us who have been called hide in our meaningless baggage? How long do we bury ourselves in fear that another burden called "commitment" or "dedication" will be added, when truthfully, if we claim the one burden that Christ has for this world that He loves, He will rid us of all other baggage. It will be present, but it won't be so heavy. We will have many of the same everyday responsibilities (family, church, work, bills, school, etc.) but they will be lighter because Jesus holds those burdens and assists us so that we can live the life He has called us to live.

Climb out from behind all that baggage. Leave it, and walk into your appointed position. For Saul, it was specifically kingship -- ruling a nation. For everyone, it's simply trust and obey.

No comments: