Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Rose Garden

I really dislike roses. I've never understood why my parents and grandparents would "comfort" me after a long, frustrating day saying "Well, you know, Honey, God never did promise us a rose garden...." Sarcastically, I would often think, "Well, I never really wanted one." Roses just have no aesthetic appeal to me. Yet, that idiom came to my mind several times today.

Today was one of those long days where life is consistently inconsistent. It was hot and cold, black and white, bitter and sweet. I had a beautiful moment then a depressing one, then a breathtaking one followed by a disappointing one. With the intensity of ups and downs, it was difficult to keep myself and my attitude steady and stable. There was a feeling that I was on a carnival ride that had spun out of control. Nevertheless, in the thrills mixed with uneasiness, I smiled at God. It was all planned.

I refuse to use the rose paradigm . . . so I made my own. "God makes rainy days and sunny ones. Sometimes, He even lets the rain come down and the sun come out in the same day." God never promised me every day would be as gorgeous as today's weather was. Still, the gray clouds are just as important as the white ones.

Colossians 3:12-15 may not be a perfect fit for my sunshine analogy, but it's highlighted in my mind as I think about the carnival ride of Christian life, and it comforts me more than common cliches.

"Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tender-hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body, you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful."

I was chosen to be shining no matter the weather.

1 comment:

Ashley Marie said...

Charity,

I like to say that "Life truly is a bed of roses - if you're careful and gentle, it's beautiful...but if you're hasty and jump into it unthinking, back end first, it's going to hurt!"

Beds of roses include both the soft, dainty rose petals _and_ the thorns...well, except if you're talking about the bed of roses put over the horse and jockey who win the Kentucky Derby!

~Ashley~