Thursday, January 31, 2008

Trust Day

Not very many sad days come my way, but today has been. I don't even know if I should use the word "sad." Because I have so much inner peace and joy that sadness is practically nonexistent. Maybe while I explain today, I will find a word that describes it.

Many of my closest friends are traveling to Charleston this weekend. I love random road-trips with friends, but I will miss this one. Tomorrow and Saturday, I have cross-cultural training for my summer trip to Kenya. I cannot go to Kenya without this training, so I essentially chose two weeks in Kenya over two days in Charleston. Sounds like a good plan to me. And when I take time to plan the speech I will give about Africa and missions on Sunday, my heart flutters like puppy love.

However, thoughts of Kenya lead to even more potentially disappointing issues. The political state of the country may cause the trip to be canceled altogether. I know that the Lord would never let the trip be canceled in vain, and that if we didn't go, He would have something planned in its place. It's just difficult for my human mind to comprehend. I don't know how to handle hope. Hope blends with missing my friends who aren't on campus, cherishing the friends who are here, and looking into the future to friends I will make elsewhere. And some small spot of doubt accompanies hope everywhere it goes. I have a Savior who makes the doubt spots disappear in a collage of hopefulness, if only I focus on Him. Oh Lord, help me to stay focused on you.

So today isn't a sad day. It's just a day that I must consciously focus on the brightness of Christ. It's a focus day. It's a trust day.



Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. -Hebrews 10:23

No comments: