Sunday, February 17, 2008

Eishet Hayil

Eishet Hayil. The wife of noble character. Some translations say "Woman of Valor." Some use "Virtue." It was used in the Bible to describe Ruth, my favorite person in the Bible. I wrote about her a few months ago on this blog.

Eishet Hayil is defined in Proverbs 31. According to my Old Testament professor, Ruth and Proverbs are the only times Eishet Hayil is mentioned in the entire Bible. Being in Christian schooling throughout my life and having friends who were mostly raised in Christian homes, I always heard guys say they wanted a "Proverbs 31 Wife" and girls say they were going to be one. And I had read the passage. I knew what it said literally, but it meant something different to me each time I read it. Sometimes the references to knitting and cooking made me wonder disdainfully if I was called to be a pioneer woman. Sometimes visions of children and a husband would whirl around me, and I would pray that I would have the mindset of a Proverbs 31 woman in the future when there was a ring on my finger and a kid on the way.

It wasn't until recently, when I was finally content with the present and seeing God's work around me as an individual female in the present that I saw Proverbs 31 in yet another way -- single.

Many of the verses are specifically about marriage and parenting, but I suddenly realized that nearly as many could apply to single life as well. Don't misunderstand me, I am not a fan of picking and choosing random verses just because they fit. I simply saw application to my personal life for the first time, and I wanted to share it with you, my readers. So, here are the tidbits that I pondered anew:

"Speak up for the poor and helpless and see that they get justice" (v. 9).
This verse came just before the Eishet Hayil section, seeming almost like a preamble. I desire to see the hidden hurting people then defend those defenseless.

"Her husband can trust her" (v. 11).
I know "husband" is mentioned, but I can work on trustworthiness in my motives and discernment within my daily life. What a noble calling, simply to be trusted.

"She is energetic and strong, a hard worker" (v. 17).

"She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy" (v. 20).

"Clothed with strength and dignity... she laughs without fear of the future" (v. 25).
I believe that fearlessness comes from an peace with God. Strength and dignity come from a constantly-growing relationship with him.

"When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instruction with kindness" (v. 26).
Since reading this, I've really been striving to listen more, even to the silence of myself and others. Mindless words make me cringe, especially when they come from my own lips.

"Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her" (v. 28).
Again, I know it has the "c" and "h" word, but as a single girl, I can still attempt to live my life with a nobility that my future relationships will be proud of and fill my life with things that I won't mind telling my children that I did years before they were born.

And my favorite of all is verse 30, which ends it all in a "moral-to-the-story" theme.....

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised."





May my life echo these words.

1 comment:

K9 said...

So, the blog is pretty much amazing. I like the application, I've always felt as though some of those principles should apply to my life as well. If not necessarily specific to my own life, it is at least something to build my life around. As in, what measures must I take in order to give a wife like this what she needs. Granted, I don't really ever live up to that, it is an aspiration God is helping me with. And it mimics one of my favorite verses as well,

James 1:26-27: If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless! (ouch) Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widow in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

I kinda felt like that related to "She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy" (v. 20). and "When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instruction with kindness" (v. 26).
Since reading this, I've really been striving to listen more, even to the silence of myself and others. Mindless words make me cringe, especially when they come from my own lips.

And just to throw this in, because I found it while looking for James, and it was highlighted because its amazing. :)

For our boast is this: the testimony of our conscience that we behaved in the world with simplicity (holiness) and Godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God, and supremely so toward you.
2 Corinthians 1:12