Monday, February 25, 2008

Planning Ahead

I always plan what I will say in each of my blogs, and think about it for a couple days, then pull out recurring themes from my thoughts and place them here for you to read. But sometimes, I have those things plotted and perfected then get to the keyboard and realize those things are not what I should say at all, which erases the slate of what I was going to say but doesn't tell me what I should say.

Since middle school, I have been a planner. I carry day planners. I plan events. I plan Bible Studies. I plan mundane things throughout the day. I can plan.

Lately, however, planning is not my forte, particularly for summer. Summer is two months and one week away. Once it arrives, it will last three and a half glorious months. I already had this summer planned at the end of last summer. It was plotted and charted and outlined. Yes, I can plan. Yet, as I plan, I pray, and to be quite frank, prayer messes up my plans. . . . And I love it.

So, my plans for this summer have been wonderfully messed up by Jesus Christ's intervention. Hopefully, I'm doing what He wants me to do and the end result will be His plans instead of mine. I have no clue what my summer will be. As of today, it's no longer my summer anyways --- I gave it away.

Possibly at that same moment that I dropped my summer heavily into God's steady hand, my Lord applied the passage I've been concentrating on this week to my current circumstances. I'll put parts of it here, but look up Hebrews 10 for yourself and be blessed by its greatness.

When I'm wondering what God's purpose is in all this...
"God's will was for us to be made holy." (v. 10)
"He forever made perfect those who are being made holy." (v. 14)

When I'm blind to what my school breaks may have in store:
"Go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him." (v. 22)
"Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise." (v. 23)
"Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you." (v. 35)

When I wonder what will get me through until then...
"Think back on those early days when you first learned about Christ. Remember how you remained faithful...." (v. 32)
"Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God's will. Then you will receive all that he has promised." (v. 36)

Just as this blog was completely planned and then completely renovated, so is my future. The foundation has already been laid. He already warned me of this --"My righteous ones will live by faith " in verse 38 and 39 -- but I continue needing to be reminded. "We are the faithful ones." I want this summer to be a faithful one. Oh, Lord, please mess up my plans until they are perfectly Yours.

No comments: