Thursday, February 14, 2008

Salvation from Conformity

I fall to the ground
And make love to the earth
For fear there is nothing else.
I lie to myself
That I am like it --
Dead dust and ashes.
And any of me that isn't the same,
I form and conform to be
To make myself one with its nature.

Or attempt.

For part of myself will not stay here,
Rolling in dirt of mortality.
Part knows that earth
Could never love me back
Never show me more than itself
Its selfish self
Could never give me anything.
I have given my whole self
To something incapable of reciprocation.

But there is a force that can lift me
From lying in indignity.
It rescues the immortal part
Out of the cutting gravel and infecting soil
And teaches me that I am separate.
I am different.
I am not to be one with something that is temporary.
I have been made immortal.

No comments: