Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Computer Brain

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could do to our brains what we can do to our computers? I would love to go into my mind and click "disk cleanup" or "refresh" or "defragment." I'd love to throw away things that weren't good for me, like bad memories or prejudices and then "empty recycle bin. " And when it was finished, I would be more efficient. Sometimes I feel like our brains really have these things done to them, but the Holy Spirit is the working tool. I feel like circumstances and relationships and thought processes slowly work out the kinks in my brain.

Something that has recently been defragmented in my mind is what I like and dislike. I have begun to realize that a particular relationship in my past forced me to like whatever that person liked and kept me from forming my own opinions on simple issues. If you have ever seen the movie "Runaway Bride" you may have watched an analogy of my own experiences. Therefore, in order to undo all that has been done, to "defragment" my mind, I have tried to examine the things that I say I like, to make sure that I really and truly do like them.

Today, I realized that I like to do repetitive mundane tasks that no one else enjoys. I like stamping envelopes, caulking cracks, sorting beads, organizing storage closets, editing scripts. I love little things. Yes, that's what I like. No one forced that notion. It may be crazy, but it's me, and no one else. It's the me that God made me to be, not a me formed by this insane earth.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." -Romans 12:2

No comments: