Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Happy Ending

Today began by being predictable, then ended with pleasant surprises.

Being in a new place where everyone knows everyone else but you and you know no one is sometimes a struggle. This morning I started out exhausted simply from trying to become close to these new people that I find myself surrounded by. It has been this way for a few days. This experience is completely new to me. I don't think anyone truly understands it. I don't mind not being understood by others, but I feel that I must be understood by myself, and that just wasn't happening. So I started out the day tired from trying to form trust or any social standing. I was discouraged in the relationship department, with people in general, not even talking about the opposite sex.

But, as always, God knew the perfect timing for a perfect pick-me-up. The other four interns and myself had a meeting with our "boss" Pastor Larry Brey today, and he used some of his counseling techniques on all of us. It made the group open up a little more to each other, which I personally love, but realize that self-exploration is not everyone's favorite activity. I feel like it really opened up the group today. Then, most of that same group attended a small group in a church member's home immediately following, and opened up even more.

To add to that encouragement and revitalization, a good friend of mine asked for suggestions on scripture to read for his devotion this evening. The first thing that the Holy Spirit brought to my mind was Micah.

3:6 - "I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the Lord, and with justice and might,"

4:5 - "All the nations may walk in the name of their gods; we will walk in the name of the Lord our God for ever and ever."

6:8 - "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

7:7 - "But as for me, I will watch in hope for the Lord. I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."

7:8-10 - "...Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light. ... He will bring me out into the light; I will see his righteousness. Then my enemy will see it and will be covered with shame."

So chin up, everyone. Even if a bad day doesn't get better, sometimes a couple of them end well!

No comments: