Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Night With Elijah

I had the complete joy of babysitting of little Elijah Furtick tonight. I love to interact with children whose parents have placed special attention on communication skills. The Furticks obviously have. Little Elijah is so bright and verbose.

After he had fallen asleep, I tip-toed downstairs and found some reading material in the Furticks' home. I picked a book called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff." It was a book about tiny things that make huge differences in our day-to-day lifestyles and relationships. Such as taking out the trash for someone, not finishing other people's sentences, and not insisting to be right. I nearly read the entire book in one sitting, but got more out of it's content than I have in any book other than the Bible in months.

Reality hit that the points this tiny book was making were the points I had been missing for a while and drastically searching for without even knowing what they were. I knew that I had had these things before and missed them now that they were fading, but I couldn't quite pinpoint how to go back in the right direction. It's so easy to let the simple, easy things fall through the cracks.

I'm so happy that the Holy Spirit has invested time in my communication skills and relationships, just like Pastor Furtick and Holly have with Elijah. May I be simply genuine.

No comments: