Monday, June 25, 2007

Walking for the Cause

The past month has been one of the most spiritually difficult of my nineteen years and ten months. Knowing that I am loved by my family and friends back home has been the only thing to keep my head up, and diving into God's Holy letter and getting letters from my mom has been my core source of strength. And being alone has been my spring of sanity.

When things get crazy, I walk. I drive somewhere secluded, park my car, and walk with cell phone, iPod, camera, and car keys in hand. I walk quickly, and I pray, or think, or both. These walks are owed most of the credit for having any time for thought at all.

Since this morning was free (and since I haven't had much exercise lately), I walked down Macedonia Church Road. It's a beautifully quaint road with plenty of fields and scattered farm houses. The birds chirp and the road is long and diverse enough for a great workout.

However, I am terrified to walk Macedonia Church Road. Because of it's rural location, each farm house has a huge, unchained, growling dog. Each curve in the asphalt and yellow paint has a strange car rounding it. Each step has southern summer heat pounding above it.

But I keep walking. Why? Because the benefits outnumber the risks-- maybe not in number, but in significance.

Such is life. It's torture, but we press on there are blessings that soften the terrors.

"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will recieve what He has promised." -Hebrews 10:36

No comments: