Friday, August 24, 2007

Positively Positive

In my public speech class, we are learning that in order to remain calm when we are nervous, we are supposed to let positive thoughts fill our minds and push out the negative ones. The books goes even further to say that the ratio should be five positive thoughts for every single negative thought.

I have been an optimist for my entire life. I've been reading William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience which portrays that most children are optimistic, but prolonged difficult circumstances make us hardened to positivity. Tough times have failed to change my mindset for anything but the better. Hard work at Elevation this summer simply enhanced my optimism, mainly because I saw the outcome of optimism. I firmly believe that optimism versus pessimism is all about perspective and attitude.

I have a book called 14,000 Things to Be Happy About, which is simply a lengthy list of nouns covering about 600 pages.
Ex:
no expiration date
Shirley Temple
beach lunches
a caring doctor
serendipitous plans

It seems cheesy at first; however, I am currently finding use in it. I am auditioning for BSU Fusion praise band in 20 minutes. I need five-times the amount of negative thoughts to be turned into positive ones in order to kill the nervous jitters. 14,000 things just might suffice.

No comments: