Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Snakes, Snails, and Puppy-Dog Tails

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to take care of little boys, to watch them be rough and tough, then bandage their cuts and kiss their bruises. I simply have compassion and understanding for male children more than females. I love little girls as well, but there is some other, deeper passion within me to be involved in the lives of little boys and to help them grow into godly men. I know it is an odd concept, but I did not create this desire, so the Creator must have placed it within me.

The weirdest thing is not knowing the future. I don't know what God's future plans are for me family-wise. I don't know whom I will marry... and if I marry, then what? Adoption? Foster-parenting? Running a children's home? Kids of my own? If so, how many? But something is sure -- The Father has a purpose for even my tiny hopes.

Many times I have prayed for the Lord to give me at least one boy if He blesses me and my future husband with children. I had never heard anyone else pray for the sex of their baby long before it was even conceived until I read about Hannah in 1 Samuel 1. (I'll be blogging about this book for a while.)This passionate lady begged the Lord so intently that the priest thought she was drunk! (vs. 13). I loved the verse which read "I was pouring out my soul to the Lord" (vs. 15). It's so easy to relate.Bravely, Hannah promised the Lord that if only He would give her a son, she would willingly dedicate the child's entire life to the Lord's service. (vs. 11).
God granted Hannah the son for whom she had begged . She named him "Samuel", which even meant something like "I asked the Lord for him" (vs. 20). She not only was brave and persistent, but she also had a heart-load of wisdom. She knew that Jehovah deserved the credit for everything good, and that anything He gave to her needs to be given right back to His service.

I often ask "Who am I to be so picky and want a boy? Why do I ask years in advance?!" Hannah made me realize that many great women are earnest, sincere, and sometimes fiery. What an amazing woman and dedicated mother. I want to be that dedicated and willing to push my children in the ways of Christ. Hannah said, "The Lord is a God who knows!" (2:3) God knows us and recognizes our unique --sometimes odd --preferences. May my heart be as Hannah's.

No comments: