Thursday, November 1, 2007

Living For God

Today was one of those days between Bible Studies when I didn't really know what to read, so I just fanned the thin and worn pages until I found something that made me stop. In hopes to keep my scripture reading intentional, I don't do that often, but when I do, I search for groups of words or lots of highlighting. The passage that I found this afternoon, 1 Peter 4: 1-11, had both. The bold-print section heading read "LIVING FOR GOD." I'd like to share some quotes and thoughts, as always (in NIV again)...


"Since, Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God." (v. 1-2)

Christ suffered for us. Whatever attitude that required of him, we should have the same one. I love that "done with sin." It's like finishing a long and tedious English paper, and at the end, you leave the desk and stretch and say "Yes! I'm DONE with that!" Then the art of living the rest of your earthly life for the will of God. Wow. I want to master that art.

"Be clear minded and self-controlled, so that you can pray." (v. 7)

This seems like a good verse to think about just before spending some real quality time talking to Jesus. Sometimes the girls and I in the Cline Lifeline Bible study get so tickled about something that happened that day, that we have to refocus before we go to God in prayer, clearing the giggles out of our mind, controlling the hilarious girly thoughts about whatever happened that day, and just coming freely and ready to God for whatever He wants to do in that time.

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality... without grumbling." (v. 8-9)

I've always dreamed of a big white house in the country with all my kids friends being welcome anytime to play and eat -- heaven on earth to me. That dream is the essence of the feeling I get from reading these verses... abounding love and hospitality.

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God." (v. 10)

If I lived by this verse, how much more silent would I become?

Living for God seems different now.

No comments: