Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sneak Peek

In 1 Samuel 12, the people of God were being firmly reprimanded by God's appointed judge Samuel. He told them that they asked for hard times by asking for a king instead of being content to be ruled by the judges. The ignorant people probably brushed away his words like dust on a mantel. However, Samuel continued telling them how they could avoid the punishments: "'Do not be afraid, ...Do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. ... Fear the lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart'" (1 Samuel 12:20, 24). But the wise people, who believed because they had seen Samuel's words come true before, were probably on the edge of their seat in wonder of what was about to happen.

Do you ever felt that way about what God was about to do? Hopefully it isn't His wrath you are awaiting, but it could be something He seems to have promised you over and over. Still, you just can't get the full picture. I feel this way lately, like a kid with his nose against the TV screen, only seeing pixelated lights and none of the real picture. I feel as if I am driving around a curve that won't seem to end. What is around it!? This curiosity compels me to keep serving and keep growing in the Lord. It also can make me impatiently rush and push too soon.

In reply to this feeling for those people and to me today, Samuel tells his listeners in verse 16, "Stand still and see this great thing the Lord is about to do before your eyes!"

My suite-mates and I went to Chick-fil-a very early one morning last week. In His own way, God said "Charity, stand still and see this great thing I'm about to do in your life, right here, right before your eyes!" when He placed a big clear rainbow in the sky. Now, please don't think I'm cheesy. I've seen rainbows before, but never like this. Never so bold, never the entire rainbow, and never without rain and clouds. He spoke to my heart through it, telling me, just as he told Noah, "Everything will be okay." And in the quiet, I stood still, receiving his peace about my current circumstances. I keep forgetting that God can reveal so much without me moving a muscle.


"In the quiet, in the stillness, I know that you are God. In the secret of Your presence, I know there I am restored." -"None But Jesus" Hillsong

" When I stand in that place, free at last, meeting face to face, I am Yours, Jesus, You are mine. Endless joy, perfect peace." -"Happy Day" Tim Hughes


Thank you, Lord, for stillness and sneak peeks of Your glory.

No comments: